History of the Area
In 1859 Captain G.H. Richards dubbed the mountains on the eastern shore of Howe Sound the Britannia Range in honour of the Royal Navy’s HMS Britannia. In 1888 copper was discovered in the mountains. In 1900 a mine was established and the town of Britannia Beach was founded to provide shelter to this hard working community.